3/27/07

The Twins: A Work in Progress

Baseball season is nearly begun, and since I post most baseball- related comments elsewhere for my baseball friends to read, I'll simply announce my hearty endorsement of the coming Twins' season. The team is always a work in progress, with high turnover rates due to lack of $$$ and the injuries every team goes through, but there's some comfort in that, too. When the Twins break camp with a few under performing veterans and roster wastes, there's no reason to worry. As soon as we get sick of them we have the next fleet arriving. We have exciting prospects waiting to break through and a competitive streak which runs through the entire organization which characterizes the Twins in a way that it doesn't characterize, say, the Vikings.
I'll be participating in fantasy baseball for the second time, and I'll send out a late invitation to absolutely anyone interested to join the league Shaun and I have started. It takes very little time and doesn't absolutely necessitate baseball knowledge (though both help). You would need to respond quickly, though, as we draft Saturday from the comfort of our own homes.
Fantasy baseball has been great for me because it gives a usage to my previously strange and superfluous enjoyment of mathematics. It's all very fitting though; I learned how to figure percentages and decimals by examining the batting averages and ERA's on baseball cards, so I suppose my enjoyment of math was never really linked to academics, it was founded in baseball.

No comments: