8/7/07

A Note on the Fallen Bridge

I haven't really wanted to talk about the recent tragedy of the bridge collapse with people in general, but that partially just shows some remaining awkwardness in my conversation (or, quite simply, in my dealing with other people).
I'm always shocked when something tragic happens and it seems people want to talk about it either casually or salaciously (read: FOX news). It isn't true, though. Everyone has their way of dealing with things. Some people are callous about them... others do find that lots of discussion centered around an incident is therapeutic or gives it due attention per its gravity. Some people need to do different things to keep the weight of death from crushing their spirits. I suppose it's good I was 150 miles away and not needing to "confront" the issue (since there's precious little I could do to help, of course) so I could deal with things in my own way.
Anyway, it seems the human cost may not be nearly what they had estimated at first, and the first-hand victims were limited to single lanes of traffic. We can be grateful it wasn't much worse, at least.
I remember when I was younger and crossing a bridge was an extremely frightening experience for me. I suppose I envisioned a very similar experience to that which actually occurred.
I mostly hope right now that the incident doesn't lead to a lot of divisive finger-pointing and we can simply learn and rebuild as a community.

No comments: